Tuesday, April 15, 2008

How Does One Kick Off Their Baking Blog???

I signed up and started this blog a few weeks ago...but have been plagued with how exactly one is supposed to "kick off their blog." Since it's a baking blog the logical answer would be to bake, right? So here it is...the recipe that finally (after MONTHS of thinking about it) put my blog thoughts into action.

I am a huge sucker for pictures. My favorite cook books are the one's that are filled with images of deliciousness. I have a need to check Tastespotting multiple times a day because I am just fascinated with pictures of yummy food. It's inspiring to me.

I said all that to say this :) when the April issue of Bon Appetit arrived at work not only did I have to get my hands on an issue, I HAD to make the cupcakes on the cover. At the time I couldn't even tell you that I preferred lemon or raspberry, let alone the combination of the two (I can happily say that now, after baking the cupcakes, I like them both) but I was determined none the less to make them. I didn't just want to bake them, I needed to. It was a must.

I've baked cupcakes before, but this was the first time I've made any with any sort of filling. When I read that there was a raspberry jam center in these cupcakes I have to admit that I was slightly intimidated. I checked out the cupcakes online and read stories from other bakers of how the raspberry filling dropped to the bottom of the cupcake, making it not much of a filling at all. This only made me nervous. But still I was determined to make these perfect looking cupcakes.

I set out on my mission one Saturday morning and it was a total success. The cupcakes turned out perfect (well the first batch, ironically enough) They were very rich, sweet, and had just the right amount of tang.

Did my filling drop? (Because I am sure that you are wondering this right now) Yes, but only on the second batch. I came to the conclusion that as long as the batter stays cool the filling doesn't drop, but when the batter was room temperature/warm the filling fell to the bottom. Would I make these cupcakes again? Absolutely! I'm already wondering if strawberry lemon would be a good combination?? As an added bonus they look very impressive (at least to me) and are much easier to make than one might think.
The recipe is below. Enjoy!


Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes

Ingredients:

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar, divided
4 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel, divided
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups self-rising flour
1/4 cup buttermilk
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
12 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon seedless raspberry jam
Fresh raspberries (for garnish)

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. Using electric mixer, beat butter, 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, and 3 teaspoons lemon peel in large bowl until blended, then beat until fluffy and pale yellow. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating to blend after each addition. Beat in half of flour. Add buttermilk and 2 tablespoons lemon juice; beat to blend. Beat in remaining flour.

Drop 1 rounded tablespoonful batter into each muffin liner. Spoon 1 teaspoon raspberry jam over. Cover with remaining batter, dividing equally.

Bake cupcakes until tester inserted halfway into centers comes out clean, about 23 minutes. Cool cupcakes in pan on rack. Meanwhile, whisk remaining 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon peel in small bowl. Spoon half of icing over 6 cupcakes. Whisk 1 tablespoon raspberry jam into remaining icing. Spoon over remaining cupcakes. Let stand until icing sets, about 30 minutes. Garnish with raspberries.



No comments:

Post a Comment